Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Hello Spring!

 Yesterday was the first day of Spring,

 and even though I'm knee deep in projects
for the spring market in two weeks,

 I took a little break

 to put out a few spring decorations,

and look forward to this new season!

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

New Life for Old TV Armoires

When we finally replaced our old behemoth televisions a few years ago,
I had three large armoires sitting in the garage, taking up valuable space.
I had to either get rid of them or find a new use for them.

The first was the biggest, a pretty pine armoire from the 1990s.

I had painted it white in its next life,

but at this point, I knew it was on its way out.

I found a spot for it in my garage craft area

and filled it with fabric.

First armoire, useful.

The second one we bought at an antique store when we
were first married in the early 1980s. It had a second life
as a Nintendo cupboard for the boys in the '90s, then used
as a paint cupboard when I decided to do something with it.

I painted it a pretty shade of blue and white,
thinking I would sell it.

We added bead board to the back and some pretty things.
Now I wanted to keep it.

So now it's filled with toys.

Second armoire, useful!

The last one was my least favorite, but now it's most favorite,
because it is the most changed.
Unfortunately, I don't have before picture,
but the doors were solid and it was black when it lived in my bedroom.

I had Husband cut out the insides of the top doors
and I added chicken wire and red paint.

I put a piece of green tin over the hole in the back
that was cut out for the tv,

and added some odds and ends.

Now it lives on the back porch with my new swing.

Third armoire, also useful!

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

From Log Bunk Bed to Rustic Garden Benches

This rustic garden bench began life as a bunkbed for my boys,
way back in the 1990s.

Most recently, it lived in my grandkids' room.
Until last summer when we built a Triple Bunk Bed
to accommodate the seven (and counting) grands.

I tried to sell it, even give it away, but it was pretty big
and heavy, so no takers.
So, I did what I usually do with headboards that I
don't want any more, I made a bench.
Two benches, in fact.

There were 2 taller headboards and 2 smaller ones,
perfect for 2 benches.

First thing we did was cut the smaller ones in half.

They would be just right for the sides of the benches.

Which was the next step, attaching them to the back.

To do this, we routed a hole to fit in a long carriage bolt.

Next, we needed a seat.
We wanted to use some pine 1x1s that we already had,
but this proved to be a little tricky, because they had to stay
in exactly the position we laid them out, resting on the sides
in between the logs.

So once we had them in position, we screwed on some
1x3s while someone held them in place.
Then we flipped it over and screwed it in place.

It worked perfectly!

Side view: you can see the edges of the seat
sitting on the edge of the side log.

They aren't staying in my garden, however.
I thought it only fair to offer them to my boys,
since it was their bed after all.

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Turning a Footboard into a Porch Swing

I have a beautiful handmade four-poster bed.
Unfortunately, the bedroom in this House with Potential
is pretty small and the big bed dwarfed it!

So, I took off the footboard and mounted the headboard to the wall.
The footboard I stored in the shed, figuring I would be able to use it
again in another house.

Over the last few years, I have decided I liked not
having a footboard, so I began to think about what
I could do with the one taking up space in my shed.

I decided on a porch swing.

Now, usually when I come up with an idea like this,
I assume it will be pretty easy; my husband, however,
assumes the opposite.
And he is usually right.

This time, I was right!
It really was pretty simple.

The first thing we did was take off the posts and
straighten out the sides.
We then added arms, made simply out of wood left
over from another project.
The seat was made from slats with 2x4s on the bottom
for added strength.

I thought it might be tricky to hang it, but it too was simple.
Just measure from the top to the arms and add about 10"
to compensate for the slight slant in the chain.

 It's now a favorite spot for the kids!

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Wedding Quilt

My last child got married a few months ago.
My daughter, my middle child, my independent, strong-willed child.


And just like her, the wedding was
elegant, fun, beautiful and intimate.

When my boys got married, I made a quilt for each bride,
featuring their wedding colors and incorporating blocks
that are personal or representative in some way.

 For instance, the wreath surrounding the house
is not only traditional for wedding quilts,
it is also reminiscent of the olive branches that covered the tables
at their reception.

 The blocks that surround the house and wreath represent
the building blocks for their life together,
such as love and faith and joy...

They chose to have all the children in their life,
the groom's son as well as their nieces and nephews,
participate in the ceremony, and pinwheel blocks always
make me think of children.

I also like to add a note on the back that explains
the symbolic nature of the quilt and gives the dates,
so the quilt will become a keepsake for generations.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Market...A Farmhouse Mantel

I bought this great cow picture over Christmas,
intending to resell it.

But a funny thing happened on the way to market.

 I was inspired to just try it out on the mantel.

 I added an antique milk pitcher,

and a milk crate for emphasis.

 An old window and farmhouse sign completed it.

A little antique milking stool is also a great addition.

I don't think this little cow is going anywhere
any time soon!