Thursday, May 21, 2015

Ticking-Stripe Slip Covers

I love new slipcovers!
And these were long overdue.
The old slipcovers on these chairs were getting a bit ratty,
but I just couldn't find any fabric I wanted to replace them.

Until I decided to change the color scheme of the room.
Then everything fell into place and I suddenly knew
 what fabric these chairs needed to be.
 I have done several tutorials on how to make slipcovers, so I won't do that now.
If you are interested, you can check out this sofa slipcover, or either wing back chair
slipcover, here or here.
I will just add a few details and tips relevant to these chairs.

 I wanted pleats (which are very easy and not too time consuming),
so I used wide navy seam binding as a detail to cover the seam.

 I used the same binding to make matching piping.

I used fabric that I bought a few years ago, and as I was cutting out the pieces,
I realized I was going to be short a couple of yards. I looked everywhere, but
nothing matched the coloring of this particular ticking fabric. So I used
some linen I already had for the backing.

I brought the ticking over the back and added a strip down the middle
to add detail to the plain linen fabric.

I also used muslin for the underside of the cushion
and part of the cushion band that wouldn't show.
This stretched my ticking fabric so that it was just enough!

 New pillows complete the look!

No Minimalist Here

Wednesday, May 6, 2015


I know it's been weeks since I have written on this blog, but we have been very busy
working on the House with Potential, and finally there is some real progress!

Inside, there are some new light fixtures.

I hadn't planned on a new chandelier in the dining room,
but when I found this one half off at World Market,

I just had to have it!

I love the details!

I haven't had an overhead light in my bedroom for 2 years,
so I am delighted to see clearly again! It gets so hot in the
summers here that a fan is a necessity, and I love this one!
(Now that I can see clearly, I am motivated to get this room done!)

The family room also needed a new fan/light. 
The globe broke in transit, but I am on the hunt for
a replacement.

This room also got a new rug (same shopping trip as the chandelier),

and I am working on the slipcovers.
So, progress all around!

Most of my time has been working in the garage,
trying to tame the clutter and getting ready to have a
humungous yard sale.

I know this may seem like a small thing to many,
but I came out to the garage to look at this spot
several times because it made me so happy!

A little white paint on those dark cabinets and some
organization of fabric and crafts made a huge difference.
( You don't need to see the rest of the garage at this point!)

Outside, more progress!

 The pergola is finally going up!

There is still so much to do, but I am grateful
and so happy with all this progress!