Friday, July 6, 2012

Painting Kitchen Countertops

I have been working on my kitchen with both short term and long term plans in mind. The last project on the short term list was the counter tops.
As you can see, they are an old, ugly, stained laminate. I bought Rustoleum Countertop Paint in a Putty color a few months ago, but life got really busy... So I am finally getting around to it!
I started out thinking I would do a little test spot and live with it a few days before committing to the whole enchilada, but that usually doesn't work with me. I get too impatient to get it all done.
So I no sooner had my little test spot painted, than I decided to go for it. 
After all, how could it look any worse?

The paint is oil-based, so it's pretty smelly. Make sure to keep your windows open and wear a mask if you have one.
The directions are pretty simple: clean and dry the surface, use a small roller and paint away! 
The only real hitch is you can't use the countertop for 3 days.
So I decided to work in one area of the kitchen at a time so it would still be somewhat functional and only a little inconvenient.
In 3 days I will put everything back on the counters and paint the other side of the kitchen.
I will post pictures next week of the finished project.


blue egg brown nest

11 comments:

  1. No sealer needed huh? Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sealer, which is one of the things I liked about it. I was just thinking the other day that I should write an update, since it has been over a year now, to show how the counters have held up. I think I will get on that next week!

      Delete
  2. There is no design element more stressful than kitchen countertops gta with all the options for material and colour the choices seem endless while we believe we have great looking kitchen on any budget there are things to take into considerations and navigating the selection of countertops requires weighing the pros and cons each.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat and Clean! They lasts longer. But if you buy a countertop from the right company then this won't be necessary.
    Countertops for Sale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natural stone is one of the most commonly used materials in kitchen countertops. Natural stone or dimension stone slabs are shaped using cutting and finishing equipment in the shop of the fabricator. The edges are commonly put on by hand-held routers, grinders, or CNC equipment. If the stone has a highly variegated pattern, the stone may be laid out in final position in the shop for the customer's inspection, or the stone slabs may be selected by experienced inspectors. Emerging technology allows for virtual stone placement on a computer. Exact photographs can now be taken which allow for the integration of a file to lay on top of an stone image. Multiple slabs of material may be used in this layout process. Then the countertop assembly is installed on the job site by professionals. Commonly, initial countertop fabrication takes place at or near the quarry of origin, with blocks being sawn to thickness and then machined into standard widths before being surface polished and edged.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post,Your style of presentation is very impressive. I really love it, I think it will be help of all
    Bathroom Remodeling

    ReplyDelete
  6. An important functions of your kitchen are to store, prepare and cook food and to perform related tasks including dishwashing.how do you kw if your refrigerator compressor is bad?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a truly cool post. I love this kitchen. Totally the style would fit me.how do you know if your refrigerator compressor is bad?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the amazing post you shared here. Winnipeg people can buy new quartz kitchen countertops in Winnipeg, but painting kitchen countertops to make them look interesting is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete