Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Camel-Back Sofa Slipcover

Last summer I was looking at sofas to replace the
 huge dark leather one that I hated.
I knew basically what I wanted and how much I wanted to spend,
but I wasn't having much luck.

Just as I was getting frustrated and close to giving up, a friend sent me
a picture of a sofa she was trying to get rid of.
 Free.
I drove right over.

 If it looks a little faded, that's because it sat out in the sun all summer,
waiting for me to have time to get to it.

 I knew exactly what fabric I wanted on this sofa: a soft grey herringbone.

 I laid it out over the back, centering the fabric and making sure
the pattern was in the direction I wanted,

 and cut to fit.

Next, I added fabric to the sides, right sides together,

to cover the entire back.
You can see that it is a little long; that's because it will need to be
cut on a diagonal when I add the arm fabric.

 I decided to use a solid grey linen for under the cushions.
Once that was cut in, I laid the herringbone over the arms and rough cut that.

 I then pinned it to the back, right sides together,
 making sure it would be a good fit.
Pin, sew, trim edges.

Next up: the arms.

As you can see, they have kind of a funny little shape.

 My 1st attempt: fortunately I noticed the pattern 
was crooked before I got too far,

 so I tried again, making sure this time to get it straight.

 Make sure to flip the sofa fabric to the wrong side 
so you are pinning right sides together.

 Once it's pinned, you can trim the edges.

Add the piece that wraps around the bottom of the arm,

and trim to fit.


Next we will get to the piping, sides, back and cushions.

Stay tuned!




















No comments:

Post a Comment