Friday, March 16, 2012

Craft Room: An Empty Nest Has Its Upside

This year we became official empty-nesters. It has been coming for a while; one by one, each kid went off to college, lived in the dorms, but came home for vacations and summers. So their rooms remained theirs and I got the pleasure of cleaning them, but not using them.

 Then the oldest got married and I gained an office.    

           
   That was nice.

 Then the second moved out of the dorms and into an apartment. She took most of her furniture and some of her stuff, and I gained a guest room.


I could get used to this.

Then we sold the house and bought a smaller one. I lost my office, my guestroom, and my laundry/craft room.


 
 I set up a space in the garage for my sewing machine and fabric. It was often too cold or too hot to actually work there, but any port in a storm, right?



 After some consideration, the third bedroom became a bedroom/playroom for my grandson, rather than a grown-up guest room. It made me happy to have a totally kid space again and, frankly, I was hoping to lure him over as much as possible. And a grownup could still use it if necessary.



I  still had one kid living at home. Then he decided he wanted to get married. I thought about the fact that he still had 2 years of college to go, that he only had a part time job, that he had never lived away from home and was very young; then I thought about gaining a craft room. hmm...what to do?

      It was a lovely wedding.


Coming soon: my new craft room!



                                              



No comments:

Post a Comment