Friday, March 23, 2012

Slipcovers are the Answer to Just About Everything


 For 25 years, we have mostly bought thrift store or clearance furniture which I would paint and slipcover. My husband was sometimes not a fan; they weren't always the most comfortable or stable pieces of furniture. So, when we received a tax refund a few years ago, we decided we would buy a new couch; a brand-spanking new one, never before owned by anyone else!
We set out to visit the furniture stores. I thought it would be easy to find something amongst all the shiny, beautiful sets. A year and half later, we settled on a big, dark leather couch. Problem was, I didn't care that much for it, but I was tired of looking and I thought my husband really liked it; he didn't care for it that much, but he was tired of looking and thought I really liked it. We didn't realize this until it was too late.


You know, those furniture stores are huge, and the couch looked much smaller than it did when it got to our normal sized living room. It was also so dark, it sucked the light right out of the room. What had I been thinking?


I tried many different ways to make it more to my liking.

Quilts

  Pillows

 Really big pillows


Finally I knew I had to slipcover it. I knew this all along, but I was trying anything I could think of to avoid it, thus the variety of quilts and pillows. It's really big and an awkward shape for a slipcover, but I could put it off no longer.

So here it is


I used $6 a yard natural cotton duck fabric from Walmart. It took about 8 yards plus a couple yards of muslin that I already had. And it wasn't all that difficult once I got started.


It totally changed the look of the whole room, making it much lighter and brighter.

I'll talk about the pillows another day.

 
I think I might even love this couch now!

No comments:

Post a Comment