Thursday, January 26, 2017

Turning a Footboard into a Porch Swing

I have a beautiful handmade four-poster bed.
Unfortunately, the bedroom in this House with Potential
is pretty small and the big bed dwarfed it!


So, I took off the footboard and mounted the headboard to the wall.
The footboard I stored in the shed, figuring I would be able to use it
again in another house.

Over the last few years, I have decided I liked not
having a footboard, so I began to think about what
I could do with the one taking up space in my shed.

I decided on a porch swing.

Now, usually when I come up with an idea like this,
I assume it will be pretty easy; my husband, however,
assumes the opposite.
And he is usually right.

This time, I was right!
It really was pretty simple.

The first thing we did was take off the posts and
straighten out the sides.
We then added arms, made simply out of wood left
over from another project.
The seat was made from slats with 2x4s on the bottom
for added strength.

I thought it might be tricky to hang it, but it too was simple.
Just measure from the top to the arms and add about 10"
to compensate for the slight slant in the chain.

 It's now a favorite spot for the kids!









1 comment:

  1. Turned out great! I love "up"cycling items. I found your site when searching for ceiling ideas and found your wallpaper beadboard idea. That looks great, but I need it in my master bath, and not sure if it would hold up to hot shower steam. Great idea though and it looks good in your house.

    ReplyDelete