Wednesday, June 12, 2013

'Tis the Season for Weddings and Babies!

This is the time of year for weddings, and there are quite a few of them this year.
There are also a few babies being born this spring/summer, so I have been busy making some gifts for the various occasions.

My niece is having her first baby, so I was looking through my fabrics and patterns to make a baby quilt, but nothing was jumping out. Then I walked into my grandkids' bedroom, noticed a quilt, and I had my inspiration!

My grandmother (this baby's great, great grandmother) had made a Sunbonnet Sue quilt back in the 1940s which I quilted for my daughter when she was 7. In the process, I had made it smaller to fit a twin bed, and still had several of these squares somewhere. I went on a search, found them, and used one as the center of a special quilt, a piece of family history for this new baby!

When I make a quilt for something like a baby or wedding, I like to write a short note on muslin and sew it to the back, explaining what occasion it was made for, what it means, etc, so the recipient and future generations will always remember.

I am starting a new tradition with this quilt. I have a new granddaughter due in September and I already have 1 and 3 year old granddaughters, so I will make one for each of them and future baby girls in the family as well.

Maybe I will use the extras from this Sailboat quilt, also made by my grandmother, for the boys!



 I also like to make name pics for new babies.
It just takes some pretty scrapbook paper to match the nursery and alphabet stickers or marker if you have nice handwriting.


This one is a layering of 3 different papers. I fell in love with the white lace paper and looked for a solid to put behind and something special for the middle.


Pink and green were the colors of this nursery, and the owl, flower and different color letters add to the playfulness.


For wedding shower gifts, I made a few Mr. & Mrs. pillows,
a big one,

and a set of 2 smaller ones.
Write the wedding date in the corner to make it more personal.


Handmade gifts are always appreciated, especially when you can make them really personal!












No comments:

Post a Comment