Saturday, April 14, 2012

Aniversary Trip: Junking Through the Sierras

My husband knows me well, so last fall he suggested a road trip for our anniversary. But not just any road trip. We set out up the mountain to Quincy, a quaint gold rush town. We had lunch and poked around in some of the shops.

We then headed down the other side of the mountain, enjoying the beautiful fall day, stopping whenever something looked interesting.

We landed in Grass Valley, another gold rush town in the eastern Sierra foothills, for the night. That's where we hit paydirt: a Habitat for Humanity resale shop!

Here are some of the treasures we found:

Frames, part of an old chair, shutters and wooden brackets

A really big trunk

Basket full of hardware: drawer pulls, hooks, door knockers...

Parts of an old wooden box

There were 4 of these leaded windows, so I bought one for me and one for each of my kids with a challenge to see what we each do with them. At the moment, mine is leaning against my front window.

A couple of old doors, solid and heavy

Another trunk and a couple of funky tables

 My favorite: several pieces of old tin from a Masonic Lodge near Sacramento

Can't wait to get started on some new projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment