Sunday, December 9, 2012

Family Recipes: Baked French Toast and Making Your Own Brown Sugar

The morning after Thanksgiving I stood in my kitchen,
 looking for something to feed a houseful of people.

I decided on Baked French Toast, even though 
I should have started it the night before and let it sit in the fridge over night.

I started with a bag of leftover rolls, about a dozen.

I broke them into pieces and put them in a greased baking dish.

Then I beat 10 eggs with 2 teaspoons of vanilla, about a cup of whipping cream, a quarter cup of sugar and some cinnamon, and poured the mixture over the rolls. Milk would work as well, I just had some whipping cream left that I wanted to use up. I covered it and put it in the fridge for a couple hours.


While the rolls were soaking up all the egg mixture, I set out to make the topping: brown sugar, butter and flour, but discovered I was out of brown sugar. I hate to go to the store for only one item, so I usually can find something to substitute.

 I thought I remembered something from years ago, about how to make brown sugar; It seemed like it was just white sugar and molasses or dark corn syrup. I was pretty sure I didn't have any molasses or dark corn syrup, but I checked the pantry anyway, and found a bottle of corn syrup!

I didn't have the exact amounts, and wasn't exactly sure I had the correct ingredients, but I thought it was worth a try.

I put about a cup of sugar in a bowl, added all the corn syrup, about half a cup,
 and began mixing with a fork.

As I mixed, it began to look like brown sugar!

It even tasted like brown sugar!

So, I mixed this with some flour and soft butter until it was a crumble-top mixture,
 spread it over the bread and egg, and baked at 350 for an hour.

 
It was delicious!

1 comment: