Monday, November 17, 2014

Another Wing Chair Tutorial, Part 2

The other day we started this tutorial and completed the wings and arms.



So let's get this chair finished!

 I decided to move on to the drop cloth for the next part,
so I draped a piece over the top front of the chair and cut it to fit,
making sure to add seams, and sewed it to the wings, right sides together.

 I then cut a piece for the seat (this chair doesn't have a separate cushion)
and pinned it to the top piece, folding the fabric of the top under so 
I could top stitch it instead of turning the fabric.

Pinned and topstitched along the sides of the seat as well.
I do it this way because at this point it's just easier than constantly turning 
the whole thing, which is getting pretty heavy!

 Do the same where the arm meets the wing.

Next, on to the sides. cut pieces to fit and pin to topstitch.
I used the drop cloth for the sides and the blue for the front.

 I added the custom piping in the front as well.
(See directions for the piping here)

Finished front.

 
Finished side.

 
 The last part was the back.
I wanted to use the drop cloth, but I added 
a strip of the blue first, 

 and the piping as well.

 
Finished back.

 The final detail is the velcro to close the slipcover
and the buttons along the side.


Slip covers are not difficult if you just take them step by step
cut and pin each piece on the chair for a good fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment