Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Decorating in the Details: January Mantel

Finally getting around to decorating the living room mantel. It has looked like this since I took down the Christmas decorations at the end of December.

I usually have a large painting of Plymouth, Ms above the mantel because it is too big to put anywhere else. Besides, I like it and it reminds me of a fun trip I took with my daughter.

But I decided I wanted to keep a quilt up there since I don't hang them on the wall any more (I don't really know why). So I decided on this one. I made it one year when my kids and I studied American history through my family tree. Each square represents some of my family and the historical events they lived through.
For example, the top center square is Burgoyne Surrounded, a design made at the time of the Revolution to celebrate the turning point of that war, and represents ancestors who fought there.
The bottom right square is a Log Cabin, representing those ancestors who traveled west during the mid-1800s.

I started putting some accessories on the mantel. I liked the lantern and pitcher right away, but tried out some other things to see what I liked best.

It helps me to look at pictures to get a better view, so I take lots as I work through the process.

This is what I finally ended up with.

 Long shot.
 

But now that I am looking at this picture, I think I might go for the second globe.















No comments:

Post a Comment